Thursday, January 02, 2014

Parents question - I did not take Pneumonia vaccine for my baby at the right age, can I take it now?

Q. My baby Anurag is now 11 months old. My previous pediatrician in India did not recommend the Pneumonia vaccine, however the current Pediatrician (& my research online) seems to suggest that I should get it done. Can i take it now? If so, how many doses would be needed?

Ans. I would agree with your present pediatrician in giving the Pneumonia Vaccine to your 11 month old baby in India. The number of doses vary as per age. Taking any vaccine after the ideal age is referred to as "catch up" vaccination. Here is the recommendation for Pneumonia Vaccine for "Catch - up" Immunization.

For children 7 months through 5 years of age who have not received Pneumonia Vaccination, the following catch-up schedule should be used:
•Children 7 to 11 months of age should receive 3 doses. The first 2 doses should be at least 4 weeks apart with the third dose after the one-year birthday, separated by at least 2 months.
•Children 12 to 23 months of age should receive 2 doses at least two months apart.
•Children 24 months through 5 years of age (prior to the 6th birthday) should receive a single dose of PCV 13 (Prevenar) or 2 doses of PCV 10 (Synflorix).
So in this case, Anurag (11 month old) should receive 2 doses of the Pneumonia vaccine at a gap of 1 month, followed by a booster dose after another 2-3 months. 

Source

No comments: